Oct 8, 2011

Paintings and more

Here's a story for you. About a month ago a lady whom I met at a jewelry party last December contacted me. She remembered seeing a painting I did for a friend and wanted something similar for her house. We set up an appointment for me to do some interior design consulting as well. While at her house she was able to show me some of the artwork she had already purchased from another Greenville artist. After seeing my portfolio she decided she would have me do 3 paintings. I was super pumped since this was my first official "commission".

She asked me to do a flower painting similar to ones I had already done before, a tree painting similar to one I had done before, and an abstract. It took me about a month to finish them. The first two were relatively easy since I had done them before. The abstract was the hardest since it was totally new. And different. And abstracts are tricky anyways. It definitely took me the longest and gave me the hardest time. (There's a really good post about the art of abstracts and one of the great abstract artists Cy Twombly here - I love her description of abstract art!) Anyways, I was really glad to have them done with and be able to drop them off to her this past week. Here they are:




So...the funny thing is the day I decided to drop off these paintings I was talking to my mom and told her, "I cleaned up my paints and put everything away and I don't think I'll paint for a while unless somebody asks me to do another painting. I think I'll work on something else, maybe jewelry or something." As I was getting ready to take them over, a friend I haven't talked to in a while texted me for the first time in months. She asked me how I was doing and "are you doing paintings now?" Why, yes I am. She is looking to send a wedding gift to her brother-in-law in London. So it looks like I'll be doing another painting for her. I sent her my portfolio and this last painting here was her favorite, so I'll be doing something similar for her. Sweet.

About a month ago at church one morning, one of the pastors felt like Father wanted all the artists to come up front for prayer. I wish I remember the exact calling, but it was something to do with artists being the interpreters of God's beauty around us...Anyways, I went up and a friend prayed over me. And she kept hearing the word "effortless". I've been reminding myself of that word each time I start a new painting. However, the coolest part is how effortless getting these commissionings has been. Kind of funny, don't you think? I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment