Jul 22, 2013

Sprint Tri - You Go Girl

A couple of weekends ago (July 7th to be exact) I competed in the You Go Girl Sprint Tri. It was so much fun!! Done with girlfriends and 6 weeks of training behind me, it was a great race. I tried not to get too nervous or think too much about it. The worst part of the whole experience was the 5 AM wake up call. After arriving on site and seeing over 100 other women all decked out in their gear, I got a little intimidated not going to lie. I had to keep reminding myself that they've probably done 1 or 2 or 10 before. And this was my first one.





I knew that as long as I felt physically good, I could go hard. So I started the race with the plan to go as fast as I could for each event. It was a sprint after all.



(Waiting in line to start the swim. They staggered us so that we wouldn't all run into each other in the water.)

Here were my approximate times:
250m swim - 5:20
Transition time 4:00 
(yikes!!! That's a lot! Next time I'll have to practice being quicker. And un-tie my shoes beforehand!)
10 mile bike ride - 35 minutes (15 mpg avg pace)
2.5 mile - 22 minutes
Total time: 1 hr 7 minutes

Yep, pretty good times. I placed 27th overall out of 101 women. Not too bad. I'm definitely hooked now and am already looking for my next race. Initially I thought I would want to do a longer distance tri, but I'm thinking the sprint is perfect. You can go as hard and as fast as you can for a short distance. Anything longer you'd have to pace yourself and reserve your energy for the longer miles.

Since doing a triathlon was something I had talked about doing and wanted to do for a long time, I feel like this was a major score and accomplishment. Definitely reaching a long term goal. It didn't hurt that I did well and felt great and got in good shape while training for it too.

Packing the night before...

There's a lot to remember and a lot of equipment you need to do a tri. Not to mention a fast bike. (I borrowed a one from a friend). I ended up swimming in my shorts and put my shirt on top afterwards. Most of the girls had tri suits which they could swim, bike and run in - so next time I'll have to get one of those. I also ended up biking in my running shoes which was fine. And I didn't wear my biking gloves (my hands go numb when I bike thus the need for gloves). I didn't want to take the extra time to change too many times. 

Here's me and my friend Misti before and after the race. The first pic is "what were we thinking?" kind of look and the second "after" pic is "I can't even look straight" kind of face.


Taking off for the run.

Right after - needing to re-hydrate 

Me, my neighbor Mary (who also did it with us and only trained for about 3 weeks), and Misti.

No comments:

Post a Comment